Saturday 23 June 2012

Life Off the Grid 3 - June 16, 2012


June 16, 2012 11:20 AM



Wow. Went to sleep at 9:45 and woke up at 7:45. 10 hours of sleep!

The lake was like glass this morning. I am just amazed by the reflections.






The dogs and I went up to the truck and got beer and planters. The breeze was picking up but the bugs were horrible.

I dug around in the garden box and managed to salvage a bit of earth. There were so many ants! I tried to avoid them, and the tree roots. The earth is very hard and full of grass roots, however, I managed to get enough to do the seven planters and repot the tomatoes. I also planted the zucchini in the garden box with a hope that zucchini are tough enough to cope. Then I filled the jiffy pots and clay planters and a plastic plant flat and planted the herb seeds. Finished just before it started to rain. Not a terribly auspicious looking display yet, but with any luck there will be yummy edibles in a few weeks... Meanwhile I feel all crawly from watching the ants.


Yes, that is a zucchini plant. Fingers crossed that it lives!


Finally had breakfast – optimum slim cereal and almond milk. It was pretty good. It's a different brand of almond milk so the first taste was a bit weird. But it's ok. Good thing too, because there isn't any alternative.

It's chilly in here, but I don't have any wood split yet and it's raining and I don't feel like chopping wood in the rain. Think I'll bundle up and maybe paint. Or read...

5PM

The rain has stopped for a bit. I painted, actually did washes on 5 canvasses, so nothing too creative other than mixing interesting colours. In the process of moving things and making room for my painting stuff I came across a really scary spider. I put a container over it, slipped a piece of cardboard underneath, and put it outside.



Started reading the new Sookie Stackhouse novel, and fell asleep on the couch. I was awakened by Guinness licking my face. Seems he needed to go out. So we all went out into the damp dripping woods for a little bit. Came back in and after a moment had a crawly feeling. Pulled a wood tick off my neck. I know! Ewwwwww! I hate bugs. Especially wood ticks. Why are there wood ticks? I've been checking the dogs for ticks, but I guess I need to check myself better too.

Guinness has a weird rash-looking thing on his belly. Red circles all over. Don't know if it's bug bites or what. He didn't like me looking at them. Have to try to keep an eye and see if they go away or get worse.

7:40PM

Listening to Randy's Vinyl Tap. Guinness is restless this evening. I bet that rash is itchy.

Just been sitting here thinking. Last summer was my first one out here all alone for extended periods of time. It was a rough summer, emotionally.

So far, this year, it is a bit better. I feel like I am able to be just me. Not mom-me, or wife-me, or friend-me, or committee member-me. Just me. It is a weird feeling. It demands the big questions. Like “Who am I really?” I hope I figure it out. I seem to have been so many things for so many different people over the years, I sort of lost me. Maybe I am beginning to get me back. I'll keep you posted...

Meanwhile, time to make dinner. I have made some curried wild rice mix. I am thinking stir-fried veggies and maybe a salad...

9:45 PM

Dinner was beyond fabulous. If I do say so myself. Some members of my extended household would have judged it “suspiciously healthy looking and smelling” but, isn't that what food is supposed to be? I even have some leftovers for tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment