Sunday 1 July 2012

Life Off the Grid 9 - June 22, 2012


June 22, 2012





7:40 AM

Blue sky! Sunshine! Woo Hoo!

Oh, wait. I have to drive to Winnipeg. I hope it keeps until I get back.

10:00 PM



Heather and Jenny have gone to their rave thing at the Pyramid. I am up-loading blogs.

I drove into Kenora this morning to get the ATV ramps from Canadian Tire. Then I went to the KMTS store to return the phone that didn't work out here and see if the other was was available. I explained once again that I had the loaner phone to see if it could pick up signal at my cabin because my phone gets no signal out there at all. The woman checked to see if the Northern Tel phone was in. It was not. “Ok,” she said, “we'll just give you a call when it's in and you can come and pick it up.”

Um. No. That will not be possible. You can get cell service on the Amazon River. You can get cell service on Mount Everest. But you cannot get cell service at my cabin. And it is just so alien to everyone, that they can't assimilate it into their world view. I have to drive at 80kms/h for nearly an hour to get cell reception.

Anyway, made it into Winnipeg, eventually got the quad onto the truck and made it back to Heather's via the River and Osborne Safeway and liquor store. The quad on the back of the Tundra is a guy magnet. It was so funny. When we came out of the liquor store there were two groups of young guys hanging about admiring it. They looked like they were waiting for the owner to come back so they could be all like, “Dude... nice.” and get into a conversation about it. But then they saw two women in flowery dresses come along and get into the truck and they looked totally disappointed and dispersed.

Tomorrow is a day of shopping – electrical supplies, lighting fixtures, tools, groceries and booze.

Truck with quad parked outside Heather's place. Didn't get a daytime shot, but even as I got ready to take this picture people walked by, alll the guys in any group craning their necks to stare. Who knew? A big yellow quad draws the same (or more?) attention than a topless woman...

No, not me, I was not topless.  Just speculating....

No comments:

Post a Comment