Sunday 29 July 2012

Life Off the Grid - The Folk Festival Journey - July 6, 2012


Life off the grid 23 - Friday, July 6

One of Heather's musical collaborators was playing the Young Performers stage. Yes, the one she was jamming with last night, Nyk Bielak. So, of course, we went to see him.








If you want to see Heather and Nyk's video, go here

I didn't take a lot of photos at the festival site during the day. It was very hot and a 35mm camera with bag and telephoto lens is heavy to haul around.
Late afternoon I went back to the campsite to set up the campfire. All it needs is a match...


The Mayan Temple, complete with pianist – what more could you want?

There is a lot of creativity evident in the way people decorate their tents and sites. The place is glorious with colour and movement!


The Winnipeg Folk Festival campground is like a wildlife preserve for radical hippie freaks. It is very, very cool. Police are evident outside the perimeter of the campground and outside the festival grounds, but seldom venture inside and only if responding to an emergency situation. Of which there are very few. Consequently, folks feel pretty comfortable to behave as they choose. Some (mostly men) go nude in the campground. A lot of people are high. There is drumming everywhere, random jams, spontaneous interpretive dance, all kinds of free expression. We are beyond the borders here. The mantra is “take care of each other”. One of the volunteer crews is the “safety” crew. Not “security”, but “safety”. Their job is to patrol and make sure everyone is safe. The most common problem they encounter is the bad trip. They try to talk the person into a calm place and, failing that, they take them to the first aid tent or the chill zone where professionals can deal with it.

There is something called The Red Tent Project, which is to allow women a space of safety if they are in crisis. The corollary is The Fort, where men can go if they are having problems.

Volunteers go around handing out condoms and lube.

Theft is rare or non-existent. I did not witness any bullying or fighting. Date rape, on the other hand, is somewhat more common from what I have heard. Not that girls are ruffied, but many are high enough that they are susceptible to persuasion. Hence, one of the primary functions of the red tent project.

There are few formal rules, with the “take care of each other” rule covering off most activities. There are, however, several rules posted outside the entrance to Pope's Hill.


Pope's Hill probably needs some explanation for those who are not from Winnipeg. Many years ago, the Pope visited Winnipeg. He held a mass at Bird's Hill Park. They chose a site with a hill where spectators could sit. A platform was erected for the Pope to stand. That is now where the fire dancers perform. A lovely example of re-purposing.


Pope's Hill in the daylight isn't much to look at.

My beautiful daughter, Heather.

Shortly before the evening concert I managed to persuade my camera to record video. I offer for your viewing enjoyment, a few moments of the parade (warning: if you watch carefully you may catch glimpses of nudity)



After main stage we came back and had a campfire. The fire lit like a charm, as predicted.
Jenny in the firelight.

I was wearing my cloak and a flower wreath on my head. Heather's friend, Jenny, commented that I looked like the Forest Queen. I thought that was sort of amusing. Later, Heather and her friends went roaming but I stayed by the fire because my feet were getting blistered (bad footwear choices) and I didn't like to leave such a spectacular fire unattended.

I had several visitors. It was getting chilly and wanderers stopped by to warm up by the fire. I had very nice chats with them. One young woman in very cool clothes and with hair in dreads complimented the fire, marvelling at the heat and brightness. I explained that I spend the summer off the grid so I need to know how to build a good fire. She seemed in awe and asked lots of questions about that. I found it interesting that she, who appeared to be the embodiment of funky cool hippiness, should find life in a cabin in the woods so fascinating.

Later, two young men stopped by, again to get warm by the fire. We chatted for a bit. They asked me how long I had been coming to Folk Fest. I told them my first festival was in 1982. They became much more interested, asking lots of questions about how the festival had changed, what was it like back then, and so on. When they got up to go, one of them (Brad, I think his name was) suddenly got down on one knee and kissed the back of my hand in a sort of courtly gesture. Jenny's remark about being the forest queen came back to me and I wondered if I was supposed to knight him or something. He was kind of cute, in a Jesus sort of way. After that they said they were from the pillow zone and invited me around any time to hang out and burn some incense. And they left.

When the fire had died down sufficiently to be left to its own devices, I went to bed. In spite of all the drumming and singing and whooping I fell asleep quite quickly. I think it was around 2 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment